Trevor Story is going to be out for a while.
The Red Sox shortstop underwent sports hernia surgery Thursday, which will sideline him for “several weeks,” according to the Boston Globe.
The oft-injured Story was already on the injured list after being sidelined since last weekend with groin tightness.
Story, 33, reportedly had been battling the injury all season.

He said last week that he was considering surgery that could keep him out 6-to-10 weeks, per the Boston Globe.
“[It has been] since spring, really,” he said last week, via MassLive. “A couple of weeks in, just felt it. Tried to grind through it and just got to the point where I might need to take a timeout and evaluate some things a little further. Obviously, I haven’t been able to really move like myself out there, so it kind of built up on me.

“After a few hard days in a row, it popped up and I just couldn’t kick it after that. It’s been a battle for the first month, a month and a half. I hang my hat on being able to play and being available, and obviously, now it’s probably a good time to re-evaluate that.”
Story had already been in the midst of a miserable season, hitting .206/.244/.303 with just three home runs in 176 plate appearances.
Last year, Story enjoyed his best season in Boston, playing in 156 games and hitting 25 home runs with 31 stolen bases.
It was the first time Story had played in more than 94 games since signing a massive six-year, $140 million free agency deal before the 2022 season.
The injury adds to the woes for the Red Sox, who were already without ace Garrett Crochet and star outfielder Roman Anthony.
Boston is currently 22-27 and 11.5 games back of the Rays in the American League East.