Home » Trump national security team used Gmail for government matters – WaPo — RT World News

Trump national security team used Gmail for government matters – WaPo — RT World News

by Marko Florentino
0 comments


Top presidential adviser Mike Waltz reportedly kept “potentially exploitable” information on his private email

Members of the US National Security Council (NSC), including National Security Adviser Mike Waltz, have used personal Gmail accounts to discuss sensitive government information, the Washington Post reported on Tuesday, citing obtained emails and three people familiar with the matter.

The report comes after Waltz accidentally added a journalist to a Signal chat group in which Defense Minister Pete Hegseth, Vice President J.D. Vance, and other senior officials discussed US strikes in Yemen. 

According to the Post, a senior Waltz aide used Gmail for “highly technical conversations” with colleagues, which included “sensitive military positions and powerful weapons systems relating to an ongoing conflict.” 

The Post cited officials as saying that Waltz had “potentially exploitable information” sent to his Gmail account and posted parts of his schedule into Signal to coordinate meetings and discussions.

Officials are normally required to use secure government-issued means of communication.

NSC spokesman Brian Hughes told the Post that Waltz “didn’t and wouldn’t send classified information on an open account.” He added that when “legacy contacts” were emailing Waltz, he always copied the messages to his government email “to ensure compliance with records retention.” Hughes said that NSC staff are instructed to use “only secure platforms for classified information.”

In a statement to Fox News, Hughes said he could not verify the Post’s claims because the journalist “refused to share any part of the document reported.”

The Democrats have criticized the administration of President Donald Trump for using the Signal chat app when discussing the bombing of Houthi positions in Yemen last month. According to Jeffrey Goldberg, the editor in chief of The Atlantic, he was added to a group in which Hegseth shared the timeline of the March 15 strikes, as well as the weapons systems used in the operation.

Hegseth and other White House officials have denied that any classified information was shared in the chat with Goldberg. Trump has rejected the calls to dismiss Waltz. “I don’t fire people because of fake news and because of witch hunts,” he told NBC News on Saturday.

You can share this story on social media:



Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment

NEWS CONEXION puts at your disposal the widest variety of global information with the main media and international information networks that publish all universal events: news, scientific, financial, technological, sports, academic, cultural, artistic, radio TV. In addition, civic citizen journalism, connections for social inclusion, international tourism, agriculture; and beyond what your imagination wants to know

RESIENT

FEATURED

                                                                                                                                                                        2024 Copyright All Right Reserved.  @markoflorentino